ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 5 - ITS CRUNCH TIME, GIRL!

Hello!! And welcome back to the One Room Challenge! Or the WTF did I get myself into challenge? Or the lets see how many things I can measure wrong challenge? Yes, that would be appropriate for me. Let me explain.

With Original Old Mattresses

New mattresses going in

This bed- its amazing in all its vintage beauty. But there's a problem with vintage- sometimes things are completely custom? Hence the whole bed cover/bed skirt fiasco. OR, twin mattresses have gotten bigger since the 80's, because guess what? Here I am- all puppies and rainbows, enjoying the sun, moving things around and putting things into place-  when THIS HAPPENS:


WTFFFFFF!!!! 


HOWWWWWW?!?!?! I just replaced the twin mattress!!! Either A) twin mattresses have gotten bigger since the 70s/80s or B) this was a custom mattress? because you can clearly see its way too big and completely hangs off the frame. Seriously guys, I cant make this shit up. I still don't know what I'm going to do. I already looked into returning these mattresses and getting smaller ones but guess what?! They don't make them! I was all happy and motivated and this just made me deflate.




 In addition, the covers I ordered from H&M are a no go. FML



I really tried to make it work- I played with the pillows, and the configuration, but with the mattresses not fitting correctly, they wouldn't work for that tailored custom look I was going for. So here's my solution- the tailored look is going right out the window until we get the cover custom made in Crypton fabric, which will be when this room turns into a nursery- hopefully some time next year. With my dreams of tailored and fancy going up in smoke, I grabbed some pretty cotton sheets and a nice thick, white, matelasse, fringy coverlet from homegoods. I love the texture, and after trying it out for size, it does hang over the top of the bed and fall to the floor nicely- giving me a nice clean look and the best part is- it smoothly conceals that black bar under the top mattress that has been such a pain in the ass. I also installed the rug (fits perfectly) and I love the silver thread running through it! Its such a pretty detail, and the best part- my cats don't like it so they haven't been tearing it to shreds- Hallelujerrrr!




I also moved in the acrylic console that will act as a vanity/desk and the leopard stools. That piece is the only piece in the whole room that is absolutely staying there. I'm still playing around with the layout and have come to 2 options.

Option 1- Has the bed as the focal point, against both of the windows, with the small marble table slightly in front of it. The acrylic console and stools will stay on the right wall with the mirror soon to be hung.




The burl dresser is under the TV. My favorite Lucite palm lamp will be on top, as well as a little bar area. 



On the wall between the TV and the bed, across from the vanity, Id like to hang a grouping of abstract art from my prized collection.


Basically like this, but without looking like a hot mess.



Option 2 has the bed against the left wall and across from the acrylic console. 


The art would still go on that wall over the bed- which I think looks better since it has the bed under to anchor it. I also like the fact that with the bed on this wall, it gives me space to move the marble table by the window and add a chair, creating a little seating area to have some coffee, or read a book, or just to relax. 


The only thing I don't like about this layout is the burl dresser placement. It feels off to me in every single way. If I put it flush against the bed to act like a nightstand, or push it against one corner, or put it back under the TV as I did with option 1, it all feels wrong. I'm not sure how to get it right. It also leaves a weird negative space by the windows. BFF extraordinaire Raf is coming over this weekend to whip me into shape and help with this whole shebang so I have the utmost confidence we'll get it right. 

 Push it flush against bed or the wall? Or opposite wall?



Empty space in the corner opposite 


I feel like if the bed is on that wall, it should just be the bed. But I need the dresser for use obviously, and that's the only wall I can put it by. I'm going to try putting it flush against the wall under the TV like in option 1 or, put it against the opposite wall in the corner by the window where the negative space is. Not sure how it will look or if I will like it but, we shall see. Which option do you guys prefer? Or what would you do? Send me your help- I need it! On a good note- my lamp gives me all the feels. Best. Purchase. EVER!!


I also managed to finish my DIY Kelly Wearstler inspired Graffito pillows. I'm really happy with how they turned out. First I did a freehand sketch on paper while looking at it on my computer. Its a really large scale pattern but I decided to make it smaller for maximum effect since my pillows are so small. If I did this pattern on the walls (which I really want to do-just not right now) then I would have done it large scale and more true to size.


I originally used the Sharpie oil based paint market but as you can see, it was only good for the outline. It wasn't white enough for what I wanted so I used Behr Ultra Pure White interior paint to get it as white as possible. I like that its not perfect and you can clearly see the brushstrokes. 





Overall an easy project made with $5 pillow cases and paint I already had on hand. I'm sure you could do it without the marker or even outlining it, but I'm not that talented. 

I'm still obsessed with that lilac ceiling, especially against those malachite shades and with that beautiful chandelier. Green and lavender is my new favorite color combo next to blue and pink. 



Lets talk art- Im REALLY excited to hang my art, and move some pretty accessories into the room. The art is very special to me. I came across several pieces at the thrift store one day and was absolutely stunned somebody gave them away. I picked them up in a NY minute and you can read more about that here on Brynne's blog. Its a great story, and someday I'll share all of it because it is so, so special, and I truly feel this art was meant for me to find. I have a couple of pieces hanging throughout the house but most of them have been in limbo just waiting for me figure out where they will live. All of the abstracts are by artist Laura Schiavina, except for the framed piece which is from The Embodied series by artist Emeline Villedary. This original mixed media piece is one I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!! I bought it as soon as I saw it and waited months to frame it until I found the perfect vintage frame. I already want another but I'm holding off until I hang everything that's currently in limbo. 


The art plays nicely with the the lilac ceiling, and the malachite shades. 





Most of the pretties I've pulled for the room so far are thrifted. I have a whole bunch more to get from the "Decor Closet" (we all have one right?) so who knows what the final outcome will be. It sure will be fun figuring it out! Not looking forward to the clean up though, fo' real.

I'm excited to finally finish this challenge- it really lights a fire under your ass and I personally love the burn. I've been hanging out in this room reading on the daybed and watching TV, and can already see all the use I will be getting out of it after my BFF leaves. Only one week to go guys!! We are almost there and I couldn't be happier to cross the finish line! Tune in next week for the big day!! Also- make sure you follow me on Instagram! I'll be on IG stories pretty much videoing everything and talking hella shit every day leading up to the reveal! Its gonna be a good one yall!!



-Nan


And don't forget to check out all the other participants progress! 





Comments

  1. cant wait to see the big reveal! Your aesthetic is my fave so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Your so sweet! Im excited too, hope you like it!

      Delete
  2. Looking good girl! I look forward to seeing your reveal. On the reals, you are one of my favorite instagramers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayyyy! Thanks babe! The feeling is mutua!!

      Delete
  3. You are not going crazy! Bed sizes have changed--and mattresses--and bedding. The whole shebang. My preference--for the ORC--is the bed the way you have it in your first picture. Hides the radiator--it says, "hey, look here, I'm the focal point" and it just seems to work better for pictures. Which is important for reveal day. That pillow is awesome!! I wish, now, I'd done something like that for my window shade fabric....but my brain fried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that bed drove me absolutely bat shit crazy!! I prefer that way too for the same reasons. My brain is fried, scrambled and tossed sunny side up, so I know what you mean! Dont fret- you can do it!!

      Delete
  4. "...bed cover/bed skirt fiasco. OR, twin mattresses have gotten bigger since the 80's, because guess what? Here I am- all puppies and rainbows, enjoying the sun, moving things around and putting things into place- when THIS HAPPENS:..." I'm sorry but I LOL. You are so funny! The room is going to look fabulous. I prefer the bed along the long wall (option two) FWIW.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts