ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 2- THE B.A.F. BRASS DAYBED AND THE LAW OF ATTRACTION

 Hello! And welcome to week 2 of the one room challenge!! This is the week where I'm usually treading very carefully because I don't want my husband to see how much money I've blown. Usually a conversation ensues that goes something like this:

Husband: WTF DID YOU WASTE ALL THIS MONEY ON NANCY!?!?

ME:


Sometimes I just change the subject and throw the most random shit out there (I like turtles!) and that usually works to make him forget what he was saying. Try it, you'll thank me later.
Also- If you don't follow me on Instagram @CasaCavaliere , you need to because I talk hella shit on stories, and pretty much debate everything decor related as I go- including all my finds, projects, internal whiny monologues and the like. Moving right along...I still haven't finalized which design board I'm doing, it could go either way- or I may incorporate elements from both, we shall see when I start moving shit around. But for now, I'll share how I came across the jumping point for this whole room...the Bomb As Fuck Brass Daybed. One cold day in January, I was just casually minding my business, trolling craigslist, ordering shoes online, working, munching on crackers, etc..when my BFF Raf @TheBeauIdeal on IG (go give him a follow if you don't- trust me) sent me a picture of a brass daybed for sale from a seller in Georgia. I've known since before Christmas that my best friend from Australia was staying with us in May- and I needed a daybed. Naturally, Raf knew too because hes my other BFF, duhhhh. So we've been on the lookout for a daybed for awhile. This daybed was perfect. Exactly what I/Raf were envisioning. Modern, sculptural and most importantly- brass. It was BAE. But, it was fucking far. And the shipping would have been crazy. I didn't want to spend $$$$ on it (and I was scared my husband would really kill me) so with tears in our eyes, and heavy hearts, we let it go and moved on. Everyday the deadline got closer for me to find a bed. Raf and I would look daily, but see nothing. And everyday we'd reminisce about the brass bed, and how it was perfect, and how it was rare, and fuck why didn't I just buy it!? Oh because I need money to live, right. Time was running out and I had settled on buying a daybed at West Elm when this happened:



Call it luck, call it irony- it was the same exact bed, what are the chances? Raf and I straight credit it to the laws of attraction. I put it out into the universe that I wanted this exact bed, Raf put it out into the universe that the West Elm bed was ugly as fuck, and the good friend that he is, didn't want me to get it, and wanted better for me. And the universe answered. Behold the goodness:

 
At the estate sale


In transit


 In the guest room


Excuse the shitty pics but for now, I just put it all together and threw a sheet on top of it. Still not sure if its staying against this window/wall or if we will put it lengthwise where the treadmill is. The lesson here is- do not settle, wait for the right piece to come along because if you throw the idea out there, it will come. Sidenote: get you a friend like Raf -who will go out of his way to an estate sale for you to buy your dream bed so you don't miss out. If your BFF wouldn't do that for you- that's not your friend. Thank you Raf for always making sure I don't settle! And listening to me yapp, and laughing at my memes and getting me stuff when your shopping because you know I'd love it. And being a true friend. I can't wait till we buy houses next to each other, and I put all the stuff I buy in your garage, so my husband doesn't see, and vice versa. :) BFFL!

I'm currently in the process of ordering new mattresses, since its a trundle and I need 2 of them. Its between these 2:



Im also looking for a daybed cover. I do have the original cover this came with, and even toyed with the idea of having one custom made, but its just not in the budget. Any kind of upholstery or drapes or anything in NYC is ridiculous. These are the options that I have so far for daybed covers:






I did check Ballards too, but they were just too expensive and had bad reviews. If anybody has any suggestions on where I can find a nice cotton or linen, preferably white, daybed cover and skirt- let me know. Or, can I use regular Twin sheets? Would those work or would it look wonky? That is the question. I've also received the rug I ordered for version 1 of the room. Its this one from Target:



I like it because the texture is on point, it was inexpensive for an 8 by 10, and I LOVE the metallic silver thread running through it. However, I can already tell its going to take a beating from the cats. It already arrived and just the peek I took inside the plastic did not impress me. I'm debating returning this one and getting the Greek key one from Board 2, even though that one is smaller, but not by much, which do you guys like better?

I'm also debating on the roman shades. I know I want roman shades because A) this room is so small and B) I don't like curtains with the way the windows are placed. I did DIY roman shades for the kitchen, so I feel pretty good about making some for this room. I can do a basic white with ribbon trim, a DIY painted to look like the graffito pattern, or take a cue from my girl Brynne at The Gathered Home and DIY shades with some malachite sheets I have on hand. I personally love the pattern and color of these sheets, and since they suck (the color runs, I once woke up with a green tinge all over) I don't mind cutting them up and using them for something else. 




Im still looking for a round, stone type table- but Raf may have found one, so more on that next week.

For now, I leave you with these progress pics, which will hopefully look 1000 better next week when we hang the massive vintage venini chandelier and put a few items into place.







                                       I loved that misty lilac so much I even matched my nails!


So, lots of things to be done, decisions to make, money to spend, tears to be shed- you get the drift. I feel I work best under pressure so I really don't mind. Famous last words, amirite or amirite?

-Nan


Don't forget to check out everybody else's one room challenge progress!









































Comments

  1. Hi! I follow you on Instagram and love your pictures. Regarding your daybed bedspread have you tried eBay and homegoods? Sometimes I find great duvet covers on both places like Ralph Lauren NIB stuff and then you just buy an Ikea or whatever plain down comforter...just an idea!
    Also - go for the Roman shaded, I made my own too and they are awesome! Love your style lady! Xo from RVA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! Good idea!! Ill check ebay and homegoods! Thank you so much girl! :)

      Delete
  2. omgosh! that is the most beautiful daybed I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts